Today is my last day of being 22 years old. Well, depending on when you read this, I turn 23 this Friday, July 6th. It is so crazy me that this year is already over. For the rest of my life I believe I will tell people 22 was one of my favorite ages. I entered this year so steady and unsure of what was ahead, but today, a whole year later I can confidently say this year I have grown more than any other.
22, the Taylor Swift Year in case you were unaware. People call it that because of Swift’s hit song “22”. Might I add that this year at the age of 22, I saw Swift sing 22 live. Pretty cool moment! That, as well as 1000 other reasons, is why I have loved being 22. This year I found strength I never had, realized the confidence I had, and did some overall painful work to make myself a better person, brother, friend, and Christian. I also graduated college- a huge accomplishment in my book. I gained new friends while some friends faded out of my life. I am now writing a book- a major goal of mine. I have grown wiser, happier, healthier, more open minded, and I kept going even when I did not feel like I had the stamina. 22 has come and gone and I know I am a much better person because of it!
To celebrate here is a list of 22 things I learned to be thankful for, or reminded to be thankful for or lessons learned in my 22nd year of life:
1. A Water Bottle- drink more water
2. Don’t Give Up on People When Things Get Hard
3. Toxic Relationships Rarely Change
4. ZYN22 Cycling Studio- fitting? I think so!!
5. Kenzie Keeley and Kelly Simons- you finally made the blog!!
6. Adults who deal with the real world- my recently graduated / older friends
7. Therapists, Chaplains, and Councilors - s/o Todd Bowling
8. Solid, Dry, Land- RIP Senior Cruise
9. Asking God for the ability to swim in Grace
10. Matching shirt and short sets- I am telling you it is a movement
11. Taylor’s Reputation Album- unreal
12. Make spontaneous choices- you will be surprised
13. Mental Health is serious
14. My Mom’s Snapchats
15. My Dad’s enthusiasm
16. College / TCU in general- I recommend never leaving
17. Cardi B is a high key inspiration
18. Family members can also double as your best friend- ily auntie kiss
19. Reading books- seriously it has changed my life
20. Don’t be afraid to take care of yourself first- to an extent being selfish can save you
21. Wear whatever you want- it is the best way to express yourself
22. My worth comes from God
These are random but I assure you, the list goes on and on. To be honest, I am kind of sad to leave 22 because it has been such a life changing year for me. I think back to a year ago- when I looked at myself in the mirror and didn’t recognize the person in the reflection- I am proud to say at the turn of another year, I do recognize the person in the mirror. I love him and I kind of want to give him a hug. That’s not weird, right? Here’s to being 23 and learning and growing in so many more ways. The future is so bright and I am not stressed, I am blessed!! Thank you all for the love. This year I am going after big goals- I hope you will continue to cheer me on. Much love and lots of gratitude to you.
Southern and Thankful
Blessed is an understatement when it comes to my life. Each and every day I am amazed by God's steadfast love. In return, I have claimed this space to show my thanks and whatever else comes along the way. A recent graduate from Texas Christian University who loves any creative insta post, all donuts, and dress pants that make you do a double take. I pray God has a grand purpose for me and I plan to get there with a little Southern and a lot of Thanks! Join me!